The Magellan-class was a line of space battleship produced by the Earth Federation. Notable ships of the line were Anake, Phoebe and Titan.
After the Republic of Zeon became the Principality of Zeon in UC 0069, Zeon escalated their arms production in Side 3. In response, the Earth Federation initiated the 70’s Armament Reinforcement Plan to beef up the Federation’s military. The Magellan-class and the Salamis-class were developed as a result. Both lines of space battleships became the mainstay of the Federation’s space forces.
Magellan-class battleships were usually the flagship of fleet commanders and high-ranking officers. Although these ships were not designed to carry mobile weapons, the slow production rate of newer warships forced the Federation to use them to transport mobile weapons. RGM-79 GM and RG-79 Ball units were tied to the hulls of the Magellan-class battleships to carry the mobile weapons into the combat zone.
Zeon introduced mobile suits at the outbreak of the One Year War. These performed well against the Magellan-class battleships, which only had several anti-aircraft guns to defend against the mobile suits. The flagship of General Revil, Ananke, was sunk in the Battle of Loum while trying to prevent a colony drop. Admiral Tianem captained the Titan, which was lost while covering the retreat of the Federation forces after the battle. Admiral Watkein was sacrificed at Luna II to allow White Base to escape from the pursuing Zeon forces.
After the war, Magellan-class ships were upgraded into the Magellan Kai-class battleship.
Total length: 627 m
Total height: 96 m
Wingspan: 102 m
Empty weight: Unknown
Gross weight: Unknown
Sensor range: Unknown
Power plant: Unknown
Power output: Unknown
Max speed: Unknown
‣ 7 x twin mega particle cannon turret
‣ 7 x twin machine gun turret
‣ 4 x missile launcher
Mobile suits: None
Launch catapults: None
Others: Re-entry capsule
The Magellan-class battelships were heavily armed and armoured. However, these ships were built before mega particle cannons were developed. Instead, they used projectile weapons until they were refitted with beam weaponry later in the One Year War.
They were equipped with a large re-entry capable shuttle on their ventral hulls. These were used to re-enter Earth’s atmosphere or to escape the ship.
The battleships had seven main turrrets and fourteen secondary turrets.
Magellan-class battleships had seven twin-barrel turrets mounted on their front. The cannons for older models fired projectiles while newer units were armed with mega particle cannons.
The battleships had fourteen twin-barrel secondary turrets that had two machine guns each. These were mainly used for anti-aircraft and anti-mobile suit defense.
The Magellan-class battleships had four missile launchers that could use a variety of missiles.
Behind the scenes
- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
- Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War
- Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079
- Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO 603
- Char’s Deleted Affair: Portrait of a Young Comet
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Outer Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: MS Generation
- Mobile Suit Gundam MSV-R: Legend of the Universal Century Heroes
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story: Space Beyond the Blaze
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0079: Zeonic Front
- Gundam the Ride: A Baoa Qu
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Lost War Chronicles
- Gundam Evolve
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Pilot’s Locus
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Spirits of Zeon ~Dual Stars of Carnage~
- Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record UC 0081
- Mobile Suit Gundam: We’re Federation Hooligans!!
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Hunter of Black Clothes
- Gundam Legacy
- Mobile Suit Gundam: The Blue Destiny
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Record of MS Wars REBOOT
- Mobile Suit Gundam Climax UC: The Woven Web of a Bloodline
- Mobile Suit Gundam MSV Battle Chronicle Johnny Ridden
- Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record 0081: The Wrath of Varuna