When the One Year War started, the Principality of Zeon surprised the Earth Federation with their use of mobile suits. The Federation realised the importance of mobile suits and started Project V to develop mobile weapons. The Federation scientists were also tasked with developing a line of carriers to transport the mobile weapons in to battle.
The White Base was the most notable vessel from the Pegasus-class. Later models were refitted and modified based on the feedback and data collected from White Base.
The Pegasus-class carriers were designated with a few model numbers. For example, the White Base was desginated as LMSD-71 / MSC-02 / SCV-70. LMSD stands for Landing Mobile Suit Deck. MSC stands for Mobile Suit Carrier. SCV stands for Space Carrier Vessel. The carriers were initially designated as SCV but they were later on redesignated as LMSD. After the war, the surviving ships were reassigned as MSC.
Pegasus-class carriers were built with two sections on either side of the ship that housed the launch catapults and internal hangars. The catapults were used for launching and landing the mobile weapons. The proximity of the catapults to the hangars allowed fast emergency sorties and to facilitate repair and resupply during battle.
The carriers had a rotating secion in its main body to generate artificial gravity when in space.
The hangars of the carriers were able to fit up ten mobile weapons. They had six mobile suit bays and space for four mobile weapons. The mobile weapons were usually support units or mobile armours.
Each Pegasus-class carrier had a Minovsky craft system that allowed it to make atmospheric re-entry and to fly on Earth.
The battleships had a main turret, two mega particle turrets and eight anti-aircraft turrets. This weapon load meant that it had firepower to match Zeon’s Musai-class light cruisers.
Pegasus-class carriers had a main turret with two 580 mm guns. This main turret delivered the most firepower among the carriers’ armaments.
The assault carriers had two secondary turrets that had two mega particle guns each.
Eight twin machine gun turrets provided anti-aircraft and anti-mobile suit defense.
The Pegasus-class carriers had eight three-tube missile launchers that could use a variety of missiles.
- LMSD-70 / ———— / SCV-69 Pegasus
- LMSD-71 / MSC-01 / SCV-70 White Base
- LMSD-72 / MSC-02 / SCV-71 White Base II
- LMSD-73 / MSC-03 / SCVA-72 Thoroughbred
- LMSD-74 / MSC-04 / SCV-73 Blanc Rival
- LMSD-75 / ———— / SCVA-73 Troy Horse
- LMSD-76 / MSC-05 / ———— Gray Phantom
- LMSD-77 / MSC-06 / SCVA-74 Stallion
- LMSD-78 / MSC-07 / ———— Albion
Behind the scenes
Kunio Okawara was the original mechanical designer.
- Mobile Suit Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Outer Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs Zeon DX
- Gundam the Ride: A Baoa Qu
- Mobile Suit Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes
- Gundam 0079: The War for Earth
- Gundam Evolve
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Pilot’s Locus
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Climax UC
- Gundam Crisis
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme vs
- Mobile Suit Gundam AGE: Universe Accel
- Mobile Suit Gundam UC HARDGRAPH Iron Mustang